NA Celicas
NACelicas has now merged into Garage-X.org so for all the Toyota Celica info you were looking for, please check out the Toyota section on Garage-X.org.

Thanks,
Jamie
Garage-X.org
NA Celicas
NACelicas has now merged into Garage-X.org so for all the Toyota Celica info you were looking for, please check out the Toyota section on Garage-X.org.

Thanks,
Jamie
Garage-X.org
NA Celicas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NA Celicas

Dedicated To The FWD Naturally Aspirated Toyota Celica's With The 3SGE, 5SFE, 3SFE And The 4AFE - Including Turbo And 4WS Models

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Weight reduction

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
91celicagtr
Taking Off (2500RPM)
Taking Off (2500RPM)
91celicagtr

Weight reduction Empty
PostSubject: Weight reduction   Weight reduction I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 11:20 am

I was lucky enough to have been able to drive a Vtec civic EG and was quite impressed, i was inspecting it to be underpowered but was the exact opposite Shocked

The thing that impressed me the most was how nimble it was, the handling was great and was pretty fast!

I know its near impossible but what would it take to get a 5G/6G celica to out perform a Civic?

Just looking at the figures, you can see why the civic is so good, it weighs next to nothing!
It has similar power figures to the Celicas so engines not a problem.
Back to top Go down
slammed_celica
Taking Off (2500RPM)
Taking Off (2500RPM)

Weight reduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight reduction   Weight reduction I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 2:24 pm

ive driven a few fwd cars and my 182 has been the heaviest yet. For how heavy it is, its not too bad compared to cars its age but it will never be a civic which is a good thing i think Cool

performance isnt everything and that is all the civic has!
Back to top Go down
Celica_XR9145
Admin
Admin
Celica_XR9145

Weight reduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight reduction   Weight reduction I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 7:53 am

TBH, i don't think you would ever get a ST182/183 as light as a Civic and still be a street car.

Problem is with the ST18X Celicas, we have the pop up headlights and if you have felt how heavy just one of the units are, you'll see why the Celica is so heavy. Everything is so heavy compared to the Civic which means better build quality and tougher.

Yes the Civic is quick and nimble but think of it this way, the Celica has a luxerious interior with elecric lumbar support, vinyl and padded interior, comfy seats where as the Civic is plastic fantastic, rubbish interior, need i go on?

Also, the Celica is far more tough and better built, thats why the parts are heavier.

Yes the Civic is faster but for an everyday street car, the Celica thrashes it by miles!

But too answer your question, remove:

- Whole interior except drivers seat, and what ever you need
- Air con
- Power steering
- Pop up headlight motors
- Lightweight exhaust system
- Carbon fibre bonnet and rear hatch, possibly more panels
- lightweight wheels
- Lightweight battery
- Replace electric folding mirrors and motors for carbon fibre replacements

Basically, everything lightweight but there is about 300kg to lose which is a lot but is possible if you have the $$$$
Back to top Go down
https://nacelicas.darkbb.com
3Spower
Moving Up The Rev Band (3500RPM)
Moving Up The Rev Band (3500RPM)
3Spower

Weight reduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight reduction   Weight reduction I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 6:36 am

I'd love a lightweight Celica with 4WS Cool
Back to top Go down
slammed_celica
Taking Off (2500RPM)
Taking Off (2500RPM)

Weight reduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight reduction   Weight reduction I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 1:27 pm

3Spower wrote:
I'd love a lightweight Celica with 4WS Cool

cant see why, 4ws is sooo unreliable Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
nsx
Taking Off (2500RPM)
Taking Off (2500RPM)
nsx

Weight reduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight reduction   Weight reduction I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 2:03 pm

If it's well maintained, 4ws shouldn't be unreliable.
Back to top Go down
Celica_XR9145
Admin
Admin
Celica_XR9145

Weight reduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight reduction   Weight reduction I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 3:53 pm

nsx wrote:
If it's well maintained, 4ws shouldn't be unreliable.

The problem with 4WS is the ECU craps itself all the time, sensors break and motors sieze, i think Toyota stopped using it was down to reliability Neutral

I know quite a number of people who have had 4WS Celicas and have sold because of the 4WS.

TBH, its not really something to maintain, its something to fix when it breaks (4 times in 6 months) Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
https://nacelicas.darkbb.com
91celicagtr
Taking Off (2500RPM)
Taking Off (2500RPM)
91celicagtr

Weight reduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight reduction   Weight reduction I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 1:44 pm

Thanks for the replies, i know the Celica is a better car, just wish the celica wasnt so heavy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Weight reduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight reduction   Weight reduction I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weight reduction
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NA Celicas :: Celica Tech :: General Celica Tech-
Jump to: